NOW HIRING FOR THE 2018 SEASON!
2018 Harvest Crew members
About New Leaf Organics
New Leaf Organics is a 5 acre organic vegetable and flower farm in Bristol, Vermont. We have a 50 member Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, which operates in the spring/summer and fall/winter. CSA members pick up produce and/or flowers on-site, at the farm. We also have a pick your own flower-only CSA program, a floral bouquet delivery service, and sell wholesale flowers and flower arrangement services for weddings and special events. We wholesale vegetables weekly to several local markets.
Job Description (Full-time or Part-time)
New Leaf Organics is seeking motivated and energetic individuals to join our farm crew for the 2018 growing season. Through participation in the day-to-day operations of the farm, crew members work together to propagate, grow, harvest, process, and sell vegetables, fruits, herbs, and flowers.
Greenhouse work, field work (bed prep, composting, transplanting, trellising, weeding), harvesting produce, processing vegetables, flower arranging, irrigation, setting up and breaking down farmers market displays and selling at markets.
Skills and Qualifications
- A commitment to learning and passionate about developing their career as a farmer or gardener.
- At least one season on a diversified vegetable operation is preferred but not required
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Ability to work outside in adverse weather conditions.
- Drivers license and reliable transportation to the farm.
- Focus and drive while working independently; ability to stay motivated and work well in a team.
- Interact well with the public.
- Maintain high energy and work efficiently with attention to details.
- Comfortable with a fast paced work environment.
- Excellent verbal communication and time management skills.
- Experience with social media, taking photographs, and helping promote what we grow.
Hours & Compensation
40 hours/week. $12/hour. April - late October or early November. Hours are 8-4 with market day starting earlier. Produce and retirement account contribution also included.
2018 Field Manager
About New Leaf Organics
New Leaf Organics is a 5 acre organic vegetable and flower farm in Bristol, Vermont. We have a 50 member Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, which operates in the spring/summer and fall/winter. CSA members pick up produce and/or flowers on-site, at the farm. We also have a pick your own flower-only CSA program, a floral bouquet delivery service, and sell wholesale flower bouquets and design and create flower arrangements for weddings and special events most weekends of the growing season.
New Leaf Organics is seeking a Vegetable Field Manager. Supervised by the owner, the Field Manager will help run all aspects of our agricultural operations, which include 5 acres of diversified market produce and specialty cut flowers. The job would entail crop and fertility management, harvest coordination for our different market outlets, wash and pack supervision, farmers market staffing and management, brainstorming to develop new market outlets, and possibly help with long term planning. A main component of this role is supervising and managing the work-flow of our seasonal crew. This position will begin no later than April 1st, 2018.
Applicants should be passionate about developing their career as a farmer. Preference will be given to applicants with experience managing small farm operations. Positive attitude, strong commitment and physical effort are required, and solid organizational skills are essential. Additional prerequisites include: ability to spearhead projects, creatively problem solve, and work independently, as well as leading a crew.
Skills & Qualifications
- At least 3 years of farming (with at least 1 year of management).
- Tractor experience, as well as ability to use and maintain string trimmer, flame weeder, brush mower.
- Understanding of drip and overhead sprinkler irrigation systems and supplies.
- Crop planning, crop rotation, propagation and greenhouse management know-how.
- Farmer’s Market skills (post-harvest handling, presentation, customer service).
- Exceptional leadership qualities.
- Patience, flexibility, strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivation; Ability to anticipate tasks and projects.
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail, systems, time management, and prioritization.
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds and to be outside in adverse weather conditions.
Hours & Compensation
40 hours/week. Hourly rate will be determined based upon experience. Retirement contribution is included as part of package. Possibilities for long term partnership agreement.